IMaCS Guwahati recruits Maternal Health Consultant
IMaCS is a consulting firm with more than 15 years of experience in executing consulting assignments across diverse sectors in India and overseas. IMaCS has been engaged by an UN Agency to provide technical assistance towards financial and human resources management for various programmes in Assam & other North-East States. In this regard, IMaCS invites applications from qualified candidates for the position of Maternal Health Consultant based at Guwahati. He/ She will provide technical; assistance and support to the Government of Assam for the planning, co-ordination, implementation and monitoring of the Maternal Health as well as Women’s Health related interventions in the State. His/ her responsibilities will include capacity-building and technical support of State health system in the critical areas of Safe Motherhood and Emergency Obstetric care. It is expected that the high impact interventions that will be advocated and implemented will contribute to a reduction in mortality and morbidity. He/ She will stationed at Guwahati (needs to do traveling in the districts of Assam whenever required)
Details of tasks
To assist NRHM/ Government of Assam in providing programme guidance and technical support to the State as well as in selected districts where Maternal Health programmes is to be undertaken (SBA trainings, MDR, IUCD, ASHA trainings, FRU assessments and operationalization and strengthening of midwifery training institutions)
1. Provide technical support for assessment and operationalization of FRUs in selected districts.
2. Facilitate assessment of quality and monitor implementation of ongoing SBA trainings, consultation with NRHM, assist State to develop State Plan of Action for quality SBA training, and facilitate its implementation at state and district levels (select districts / medical colleges)
3. Contribute to technical updating of Government strategies/plans to reduce maternal mortality and morbidity (direct and indirect causes) focusing on access, effectiveness of service delivery.
4. Build monitoring capacity of NRHM for acceleration of maternal health interventions
5. Explore and build partnerships (government and NGO) at sub-district level (select districts) on maternal health, address maternal mortality.
6. Field level management and monitoring of activities.
7. Focus on quality antenatal care to all pregnant women by increasing the access through existing Govt. Facilities.
8. Quality improvement of the ANC through reorientation of ANM and ASHA through trainings and development of modules for the training.
9. To increase awareness amongst mothers and communities about the need of ANC.
10. Focus on 24-hour institutional delivery with basic emergency care in all PHCs and referral of obstetric emergencies.
11. Certain of plan for social mobilization for institutional deliveries by involvement of MSS, Mahila Mandals, PRI through orientation to motivate pregnant women and their families for institutional delivery.
12. Focus on selected CHCs (across the state) becoming venues for comprehensive emergency obstetric care.
13. Involvement of Charitable TE hospitals (as PPP) to deliver basic & comprehensive EmOC.
14. Monitoring and supervision of Village Health and nutrition days, Village Health and sanitation committee including trainings. Facilitate to strengthen the supportive supervision.
15. Attend to any other duties and responsibilities assigned by the NRHM.
Qualification and Experience:
• Medical Graduate with 3-5 years experience and PG training in Pediatrics or Public Health
• Familiarity with theory and practical applications and essentials of child survival
• Experience in planning and management of Health sector/RCH programmes
• Strong quantitative and analytical skills with ability to conduct independent analysis of, and planning for RCH programme/services
• Good negotiation and influencing skills supported by excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English and Assamese, essential and in Hindi/Bengali desirable.
• Working knowledge of MS Office essential; knowledge of data analysis packages preferable
Contract Duration and Appointment: Initially for one year, but renewable. Interested candidate can send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by or before 10th September 2010. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. QUALIFIED WOMEN ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.